Writing is an important component of Language Arts instruction.The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) says that students should be able to –
- Organize and consolidate their mathematical thinking through communication
- Communicate their mathematical thinking coherently and clearly to peers, teachers, and others
- Analyze and evaluate the mathematical thinking and strategies of others;
- Use the language of mathematics to express mathematical ideas precisely.
NCTM Process Standards http://www.nctm.org/standards/content.aspx?id=322
Why not incorporate writing into mathematics instruction? Here are some suggestions –
- Make sure students know the vocabulary.
A Maths Dictionary for Kids http://www.amathsdictionaryforkids.com/
- Have students restate a problem and/or write it in their own words.
- Write about simple problems and activities.
- Use sentence starters.
- Let students talk about their answer before they write.
- Use shared problem solving and writing.
a) Brainstorm possible strategies and/or solutions.
b) Write possible strategies and solutions on the board.
c) Allow students to work in teams.
d) Pair strong/weak writers.
e) Use interactive writing as a group.