Here are some ideas for integrating math and literacy using leveled books
Look at the page numbers –
- Can students identify the page numbers?
- Can they say what number will be on the page before/after a page they are looking at?
Open the book to a page and ask the student to find another page.
- Do they know which way to turn the pages to look for the new page?
Is there anything in the illustration that students can count?
- How many will there be if there is one more? One less?
- If there are 3 but you want 5, how many more will you need?
Ask students to count the words on the page.
- Where is the first word? Where is the last word?
- What is the word before ______? What is the word after ______?
Use the book as a context for writing a word problem. Use words and situations from the book.
All of these ideas can be done during math or literacy time to connect math and literacy instruction.