Item 11 on the list of Equitable Classroom Practices from Montgomery County Schools in Maryland is “Uses random response strategies.” Some teachers put students’ names on sticks and draw a stick to determine which student to call on during discussions. This strategy can be adapted to work on math skills.
- Give each student a numeral that they need to practice reading.
- The teacher has another set of the numerals given to the children.
- Call on children by reading a numeral.
- You can also call on a student who has the number before or after a number you say.
- Work on combinations to 5, 10 or 20 by giving students 5-, 10-, or 20-frames. Call on students by saying, “What goes with 6 to make 10?” This can also be done with bare numbers.
- I’m sure you can think of many ways to adapt this based on the needs of your students.